The air is crisp, the wind is blowing and the rain is falling. It feels like Autumn outside, which is why this next recipes timing is absolutely perfect! Yummy pureed yams!
- Select a good size yam (or sweet potato, as they are almost one in the same and both will work for this recipe)
- Cleanse it thoroughly, dry it off and then use a knife to poke slits all over the yam.
- Wrap the washed and poked yam in aluminum foil
- Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 60 minutes
- remove the foil wrapped yam from the oven, unwrap and slice in half.
- Scoop the soft innards out and transfer them to a food processor.
- Puree the yams adding bits of hot water as needed to thin down the mixture.
- Fill an ice cube tray with the yam puree and freeze
- once frozen, remove cubes from the tray, label a freezer bag with the title and date and add the cubes to the bag. they will keep in the freezer for one month.
Yams are a delicious way for your little one to get plenty of potassium, fiber and several vitamins. They are also yummy and sweet, making it an easy sell when you are trying to get your kids to eat something other than applesauce!
NEXT RECIPE: Carrot Puree (penelopes favorite!)