Very little smells better than a loaf of homemade banana bread baking in the oven. This recipe helps to capture that essence in a healthy, easy to make (and vegan friendly) baby cookie. Let me warn you…you may find yourself snacking on these healthy little treats as well!
You will need:
- two ripe bananas
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 4 handfuls of oats (quick oats work well too)
- Mash the ripe bananas up well. (preheat oven to 350 degrees) add cinnamon and mix well into bananas.
- put your oats into a blender or food processor and blend until pieces are very small, almost powder-like (this step can be skipped if you are making these for an older eater such as a young child or yourself)
- a handful at a time, mix the oats into the mashed banana
- Keep mixing the oats into the fruit until you end up with a sticky cookie dough type consistency. (you may not use all the oats you blended, you dont want the mixture to become too dry where it flakes apart)
- Roll dough into 1″ balls, flatten and place on a non stick cookie sheet or parchment paper laden cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- let cool completely before serving. Cookies will have a chewy texture.
- Store in fridge for use up to three days. Store excess in a freezer bag and freeze for up to three months. Simply remove frozen cookies from freezer bag about 30 minutes before serving.
***IMPORTANT*** always watch your child when giving them solid foods to eat, no matter how many times they have eaten it before. It can only take one second for a baby to choke on a bit of food.Â I started feeding these to Penelope cut up into small pea sized bits until she is a bit more savvy and wonâ€™t try to shove the entire cookie into her mouth. ;)
NEXT POST… baby friendly macaroni and cheese! (even for those babies not yet on cows milk)